Media Buying in the New Multi-Screen World

We all know that consumer media consumption patterns are rapidly changing, but an August 2012 research study by Google, Ipsos, and Stirling Brands, provides some startling data on the predominance of multi-screen based interactions. The insights provided inĀ The New Multi-screen World: Understanding Cross-platform Consumer Behavior, may help you craft better advertising campaigns:

  • We are multi-screeners: 90% of all media interactions are screen-based, spread across smartphones, tablets, desktops/laptops and TVs; leaving just 10% of interactions to radio and print. Your ad budgets should reflect that split.
  • We move seamlessly between multiple devices to complete a task over time, in either a sequential (starting a task on one devices and completing it on another) or simultaneous mode. Your marketing strategies can no longer be viewed as “digital” or “traditional,” and your plans must consider the whole consumer experience across channels, making it as seamless as possible.
  • TV no longer commands our undivided attention: 77% of TV viewers use another device at the same time during a typical day.
  • The prevalence of sequential usage of multiple screens makes it imperative that you enable customers to save their progress between devices. Saved shopping carts, “signed-in” experiences or the ability to email progress to oneself helps keep consumers engaged, regardless of device used to get to you.
  • During simultaneous usage, content viewed on one device can trigger specific behaviour on the other. You should therefore not limit conversion goals and calls to action to only the device where they were initially displayed.

More than ever, your campaigns need to be designed as seamless multi-screen consumer experiences that integrate email advertising, web, social, TV, and more. Read the complete report here.