A recent poll of my network revealed how in-the-trenches media professionals are dealing with the growing issue of ad blocking. Responses showed diverse approaches to what could be the biggest hurdle for digital media this year. Here is a summary of what industry leaders had to say.
How are media professionals dealing with this issue?
- Diversifying across media channels so issues with display will have less impact
- Deciding that people who choose to block ads aren’t a qualified audience anyway
- Increasing native, social, email, and blog efforts because they are not blocked
- Relying on outside media partners to manage the situation
- Using this as a wakeup call to re-evaluate opportunities for effective non-display tactics
What work still needs to be done?
- Identify qualified people without ad blockers to ensure they get added to targeting pools
- Know definitively how many people actually use ad blocking, to accurately quantify potential impact